Saturday, May 30, 2009

Roddick cruises into fourth, then keeps it humble


Andy Roddick

American Andy Roddick may not win his first Roland Garros title, but he
accomplished a huge goal on Saturday by reaching the fourth round for
the first time with an impressive 6-1, 6-1, 6-4 victory over France’s
Mark Gicquel.

Serving smart, volleying like a demon and playing consistent from the
backcourt, Roddick was never threatened in the match. The American
finished the contest with 27 winners and only 11 unforced errors, while
winning 17 of his 24 net approaches.

Under his new coach, Larry Stefanki, Roddick has gotten himself in
better shape, is quicker and has developed a more powerful backhand and
dependable net game.

Low profile

While the 26-year-old won’t put himself in the list of top favorites,
he’s knows he’s better than his previous results.

He’ll face the winner of the match between Gael Monfils and Juergen
Melzer.

“I think I have improved physically from the past times I've been here, and I think that lends itself to having some more options out there,” he said. If you're asking me if I've come here thinking I can win this tournament, the honest answer would be no. Do I feel like I can make a run and then see where that takes me? Yes. I think it would be extremely presumptuous of me with my record here to come in and say I think I'm going to win this tournament. Right now I'm going to go match by match, and I think I have a shot to win my next match. We'll go from there. But the reason that Roger and Rafa have been talked about as the favorites is because they've proven themselves time after time. Not only at this event, but at other ones. So I'm going to have to earn it."

No comments:

Post a Comment