Thursday, June 4, 2009

Solid Stosur reaches semis


Samantha Stosur

Samantha Stosur became the first Australian woman to reach the
semi-finals in 21 years with a 6-1 6-3 victory over unseeded Romanian
Sorana Cirstea on Wednesday.

“I’m just over the moon, happy, excited,” she said. “Every single
positive emotion I think possible at the moment.”

In a powerful and steady display, Stosur adeptly mixed up the pace and
depth of her shots, overwhelming her younger foe with her vicious kick
serve and refusing to let the outcome of the match be entirely
determined from the baseline.

While Stosur has never won a tour title, this victory will see her into
the top 20 for first time. The 25-year-old is a multiple Grand Slam
winner in doubles, and the Aussie has worked diligently this year to
stay clam, trust her shots, and display more than a big forehand and
serve.

History in the making

As a result, her singles game has improved. Her two-handed backhand is
more forceful and most importantly, she finally believes that she can
go shot for shot with the elite players.

“The last few years I've had a lot of doubles success, which is great.
I've enjoyed every match I've gone out to play, and that's fine. But
this year I definitely made a conscious effort that singles was a
priority. It always was, but I needed to change a few things to really
make that happen. Now I'm starting to see good rewards for those
decisions.”

Stosur, the first Aussie to reach the semis since Nicole Provis in
1988, will meet Svetlana Kuznetsova in the final. While she’ll be the
underdog against the former Roland Garros finalist, she's reveling in
the clay and looking dangerous.

“I've really started to learn a lot better how to use my game on this
surface,’ she said. “It's a good surface for me. It took me a little
while to realize that and to believe it and trust that my game matched
up well with the clay. But now I can see that it does.”

No comments:

Post a Comment