Sunday, June 7, 2009

Soderling: Roger was too good


2009 French Open - Day Fifteen


Robin Soderling hailed Roger Federer as the greatest player of all time after losing to him at Roland Garros.

Federer romped to a 6-1 7-6 (7/1) 6-4 triumph over Soderling to clinch the only major which had eluded him in a glittering career.

The Swede, who beat Rafael Nadal and Nikolay Davydenko en route to the final, said: "I had the two best weeks of my career. Roger is a really worthy winner. To me he is the best player in history so he really deserves to win here at the French as well."

When asked whether the second-set tie-break had been the turning point, he replied: "It's tough to say but he played better than me today.

"I had a few chances but he came up with some extremely good shots at important moments.

"I'm still happy. I had a great tournament. Roger was too good for me today."

Addressing Federer at the presentation ceremony, Soderling added: "You really gave me a lesson on how to play tennis today.

"For me you're the greatest player in history so you really deserved to win this title."

Federer said on BBC1 moments after his win: "The victory was a huge pressure for me today.

"It's one of the best days of my life. Tennis is just my life."

No comments:

Post a Comment