Saturday, May 21, 2011

Djokovic: I am not invincible

Djokovic: I am not invincibleHe may seem that way to the rest of the tennis world, but Novak Djokovic insists he will not begin his quest for a first French Open title feeling unbeatable.
The Serb's stunning form has been the major talking point of the 2011 season, with his first-round match against Thiemo de Bakker at Roland Garros offering the chance for a 40th consecutive victory.
His run has brought him seven titles, including the Australian Open and four Masters 1000 victories, all of which were achieved with final wins over Rafael Nadal, the man he could succeed as world number one this fortnight.
Djokovic, though, is trying not to think about the numbers, because that inevitably prompts the question of when the run will be brought to an end.
The second seed said: "I don't feel unbeatable, nobody is unbeatable, even though I have had an incredible run that keeps going.
"I've said in the last couple of weeks that I'm really not trying to think about the run, or I'm not trying to think about when this run will end, because that will mean that I'm thinking about losing.
"This is not my priority, not my mental approach. I always try to be positive on the court and then take one match at a time and think about only winning that certain match. I think it's the right attitude, and it's been going well."
Questioned about Djokovic's form, his rivals have put the transformation largely down to an increase in confidence rather than any great advancements in his game.
One thing the world number two, who celebrates his 24th birthday on Sunday, has changed is his diet.
Djokovic has cut out gluten after discovering he is allergic to the protein, and he said: "It is a part of the puzzle, let's say.
"I decided to give it a try because of the allergies and my health, the heat problems that I had in the past. So I have tried different kinds of things and I wanted to see if that works, and it has."
The growing rivalry between Djokovic and Nadal has left 16-time grand slam champion Roger Federer as something of a forgotten man.
The Swiss has certainly had an indifferent start to the season by his high standards, reaching only two ATP World Tour finals and losing to Jurgen Melzer and Richard Gasquet on clay.
Federer, though, is happy not to have the spotlight shining so brightly on him and believes less pressure could help him spring a surprise in Paris.
He said: "I have never been the overwhelming favourite going into the French Open because of Rafa's great record here over the years.
"I think this is definitely a year for me where I can come into this tournament with a little less pressure than the last six or seven years.
"Last year I was the defending champion. The years before that I was trying to win Paris for the first time. So I've always had that big cloud hanging over me.
"This year maybe more is expected from Rafa and Novak, and that could be a good thing for me and more pressure for them.
"If at Wimbledon I was not among the top four or five favourites, then it would be a big change. But, at the French Open, it's always more or less the same."
Federer will certainly not be taking his progress through the early stages of the draw for granted, however, after drawing Feliciano Lopez in the first round.
The pair had a titanic second-round clash in Madrid earlier this month that featured three tie-breaks and a match point for world number 41 Lopez before Federer eventually prevailed.
The third seed said: "It's interesting. We have known each other for a very long time, since we were juniors. I'm surprised I'm going to play against him because I thought he was seeded, but sometimes you are a bit unlucky. He's a dangerous player."
The highest seed in action on the first day of play will be Spanish world number seven David Ferrer, who faces Jarkko Nieminen. Following that match on Court Philippe Chatrier will be French favourite Jo-Wilfried Tsonga against Jan Hajek while 14th seed Stanislas Wawrinka plays French qualifier Augustin Gensse on Court 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment