Saturday, May 21, 2011

Watson qualifies for French Open

Watson qualifies for French OpenHeather Watson credited a new-found calmness and a pledge never to throw a racquet again for her success in qualifying for the French Open.
The British number three, who celebrated her 19th birthday, defeated Switzerland's Stefanie Voegele 6-4 6-4 to book a first-round meeting with French wild card Stephanie Foretz Gacon at Roland Garros.
Watson's only previous appearance in the main draw of a grand slam was a first-round defeat as a wild card at Wimbledon last year and Friday's victory makes her the first British woman since Kate Brasher in 1983 to win a match in the final qualifying round in Paris.
The Guernsey teenager said: "It feels great. The only other match I've won in a grand slam was in (qualifying) in Australia so this is big for me. I'm feeling very confident and happy with my performances so far."
Watson came into the match on the back of a second-round defeat at an ITF tournament in Cagnes-sur-Mer and a bad-tempered loss in qualifying in Rome, and she revealed those setbacks made her address her attitude on court.
She said: "Before Rome I played in Cagnes-sur-Mer and I lost a match where I had two match points, and I was devastated. That's because I wanted to win that match too badly, I wasn't able to put it away.
"Since then I've turned over a new leaf. I vowed never to throw my racquet ever again. I'm going to have fun and enjoy tennis. I loosened up in Rome but I got mad, so I'm just taking baby steps.
"I saw pictures of the racquet throwing in Rome and it looked terrible. It was very unprofessional and that's not my goal. There's bigger things going on in the world to get mad at than tennis and a few points."
Elena Baltacha and Anne Keothavong qualified directly for the tournament and Friday's draw offered Britain's women a great chance of posting a first win since Clare Wood beat Gigi Fernandez in round one in 1994.
Neither Baltacha, who will meet American teenager Sloane Stephens, nor Keothavong, drawn against Russian world number 101 Vesna Dolonts, are particularly at home on clay but Watson is beginning to really enjoy the red stuff.
"When I first get on clay I'm kind of all over the place and I don't know how to hit the ball but after a few tournaments I've really adapted my game," she said. "Now I'd probably say it's one of my favourite surfaces."
Friday's victory was the latest achievement in a superb season for Watson, who reached the quarter-finals of WTA Tour events in Auckland and Memphis and is rapidly closing in on a place in the top 100.
She added: "I always think I can do better than I have been doing. It's just a few extra matches that can get your ranking up.
"There's a lot of points to be won here and during the grass season. I love grass - clay and grass are very different but I feel like I can play well on both. I'm very excited."

No comments:

Post a Comment