Saturday, May 21, 2011

Sania: I find clay difficult to play on

Sania: I find clay difficult to play onJust before the 2011 French Open, Indian tennis ace Sania Mirza shares her expectations and experiences with ESPNSTAR.com.
By Sudheer Mahavaadi
Q: How do you rate your chances in this year's French Open, which you missed last time?
Sania Mirza: It's no secret that I am least comfortable on the clay court surface. My game is more suited to faster courts. Also, I have not grown up playing on red clay, unlike the Europeans and I find it difficult to move on this surface.
However, I don't think the surface negatively affects me in doubles play. I am excited to be playing my 23rd Grand Slam in singles and looking forward to improving my record on clay.

Q: How would you sum up your season so far?
SM: I've moved up almost a hundred places in singles rankings since December 2010 and won two important doubles titles. So, it’s been a great year so far, for sure!
Winning the Premier Mandatory doubles tournament at Indian Wells was definitely the icing on the cake!

Q: Fitness remains your key issue. Do you feel frustrated at times?
SM: Yes, it can be frustrating, at times but one can only continue to work hard and hope for the best!

Q: How are you approaching the Grand Slams coming up? Will you focus on the “paired” events more?
SM I've always tried to balance my singles with doubles events and I will continue to do that!

Q: As a sporting couple, how do you and your husband Shoaib Malik boost each other when the chips are down?
SM: As professional sportsmen, we both understand the pressures of performing in the spotlight at the highest level and are better geared to handle ups and downs that are a part and parcel of sport as well as life.

Q: Do you see any Indian girl coming through the ranks and make an international impact?
SM: Unfortunately, no name comes to my mind as of now. It will take a big effort on our part in the right direction to produce a top-50 player.

Q: What kind of inspiration you get from players like Sharapova and Clijsters who have made comebacks and performed well?
SM: I think its remarkable, specially for Kim Clijsters to have won Grand Slams after becoming a mother!

No comments:

Post a Comment