Tuesday, June 2, 2009

One-on-one with Aleksandra Wozniak


Aleksandra Wozniak

Currently No24 in the world, Aleksandra Wozniak is one of the rising stars of women’s tennis. Knocked out in the fourth round of this year’s French Open by Serena Williams, the Canadian hopes to repay the faith shown in her by her country and her sister, who has inspired her throughout her fledgling career.

Canada is hardly reputed for producing top tennis players, so when Aleksandra Wozniak won the WTA tour event in Stanford in 2008, ending a winless period of over two decades for the country, she became a hero overnight – to such an extent that her hometown of Blainville was re-named Wozniakville for a day to commemorate the achievement.

The 21 year old also received a medal of honour from the Quebec National Assembly that same year to mark her entry into the top 50, and she is well on the way to eclipsing Patricia Hy-Boulais, who made quarter-finalist at the 1992 US Open.

“I want to get as far as possible,” Wozniak declares. “I want to break into the top 10 and of course win a Grand Slam.” Wozniak owes her aggressive game to her father, originally from Poland, her coach since she was a wee little girl of three. After eliminating Serena Williams in the semi finals, and Marion Bartoli in the final at Stanford, the young lady shot up in the world rankings reaching a career-high No24.

Years earlier her father, a Polish international, came to Canada with hopes of pursuing his career in North American soccer. Unfortunately things did not work out and the family’s sporting hopes were laid on the shoulders of eldest daughter Dorota. A gifted tennis player, Dorota lacked the financial backing necessary to take her career past university level. She won two NCAA titles with San Diego State.

Twelve years her junior, little Aleksandra followed her sister’s progress with only one thing in mind: to follow in her big sister’s footsteps. “That dream soon started to take shape. At five or six years old, I knew I was going to become a professional player. I watched Graf, Seles and Hingis and I wanted to be like them. My sister Dorota was a great inspiration to me. When I play, it’s for her too. I have a double responsibility to fulfil.”

Quebec’s sweetheart is constantly in demand by Canadian journalists, and the young blonde also keeps a personal website. “I enjoy telling people about my career and especially about Canada. I’m extremely proud to be an ambassador for my country. Thanks to my progress, tennis is getting bigger and bigger in Canada.”

No comments:

Post a Comment